Skip to main content

ROGUES GALLERY 4: Sarah Allen


Author's Bio:  Sarah is a fan-girl and uber-dork working on submitting her first novel and drafting her second. She memorized The Cat in the Hat at age three and has loved reading ever since, which made graduating in English an easy decision. She writes short stories and poetry as well and has been published in several literary magazines such as The Tipton Poetry Journal, Atlas Poetica and Boston Literary Magazine. She is a social media nerd and blogs at http://fromsarahwithjoy.blogspot.com/. She is a slytherpuff, anglophile and Jane Austen groupie. She is a sevret lover of jazz and post-grunge rock, and a not so secret lover of Colin Firth, white chocolate, cavalier king charles spaniels and Frasier.


Lunatic by Sarah Allen.

I am in love with the man in the moon. Lunatic is what they would call me if they found out. But lunatic is not always a bad thing.

I am in love with the man in the moon. I wait for him, wait for him to pour through the atom-thin cracks in my window, wait for him to rise from the moon dust, the particles of light.

He is the color of the moon. His eyes and hair streak light across my wooden floor, from his face to mine. I could bathe in that light. And if I did, I would be trapped with him in his night-cage, freedom in being trapped anywhere with him. The bars would be pillars of light.

Fingers touch me like moonlight. Then I know he is here. I don’t turn around. I sit still and let him pour in around me.

Cities, lost dogs, asphalt in the rain is what he talks about. As he speaks I can see the road glistening like obsidian, muddy paws at the bakery’s front door. Oh, the things he sees, the things he shines his light on.

We ride together like a Ferris wheel, up and around the world, around the night. I am cold, and he wraps his pale arms around me. We watch morning birds emerge from their trees. You are the morning bird, he tells me. I have never wanted so badly to be caged.

Again, I wait. I wait while he is pulled back through my window, beam by beam fading slowly. I wait until there is nothing left but his reflected face in the glass. I wait until that, too, is gone. Then there is only me, alone in my blue-grey room, wrapped in a blanket flecked with moon dust.

Comments

  1. Thanks for the submission again Sarah! I really liked this insanely short read. I liked the poetic touch of the narrative, and the overall mystic nature of the piece. Could possibly keep one thinking for a while about the various meanings of things, and perhaps over-thinking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been a pleasure, thanks for having me! This is such a fun and awesome idea, and the community support is always appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rogues Gallery was something crime author Neal James (Phil Neale) started on his site: http://nealjames.webs.com. He and I go back several years now, having met online in a writing community, and I simply asked to borrow the idea. He does a better job of staying on top of it, and posts a new Rogue every month. I didn't want to commit to that much right away, and simply to it whenever I get somebody willing. But I now have another one already in the inbox (so to speak), so I'll have to hold that one off to allow yours a little more spotlight. :)


    Three of us, Phil included, have been plotting the idea of spreading the Rogues Gallery around the web and getting others involved, so if you want to take up the task yourself on your blog or website, go for it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I dare you to say something...

Popular posts from this blog

Merlin & Hagar : A Gnome Photo Series

I decided, on a whim yesterday, to make a photo series based off my wife's gnome collection. It was a collection she curated over her childhood, buying them all from the same place in Derby, Kansas, where her grandparents lived.

The series stars two gnomes, Merlin and Hagar. One is jolly, and the other grumpy. Enjoy.

I have the first two posted, and will embed below.



New website look and stuff coming soon

I've been meaning to give my site an extreme makeover and be better about writing posts, and sharing stories. Well, it's coming....I'm currently testing with my new theme/layout, and it is gonna be cool...let me tell ya. And as far as more content, I will be writing more and writing more blog posts as well. This is more of a challenge to myself to stay on top of things, and less of an actual promise. Yikes!Any rate, stay tuned.

A little on Audrey Hepburn, my favorite actor

It takes a lot for me to say something is 'my favorite'. For example, when it comes to movies, I have a laundry list, and the one at the top is really only there because I just can't bring myself to take it down for something else.

Some people claim actors as favorites for silly reasons. Yes, I said silly. While Audrey may not make the list for favorite actor for a lot of folks, though maybe for 'best style' or some other nonsense. For me, she makes the top for acting. And here's why...

In her career, and life, she was constantly met with challenges and always overcame them. An actor who takes on challenges and bests them, those are the truly talented actors. From her humble beginnings in life, taking part in the underground resistance during WW2, to stardom, she saw a lot of challenges along the way. Like, how do I save these Jews from the Nazi soldiers coming this way? Oh, let me walk over and pick a flower for the Nazi, giving the Jews time to get…