Skip to main content

UPDATES: HH, Myrna and Cafe de Mort

So, yeah, I haven't been posting a lot of work lately. Part of that is because I haven't been writing a lot lately, and the other part is that I've been outlining a lot.

Hardboil High
Last summer I managed to bleed out the first draft manuscript of Hardboil High: Freshman. Since then, I've mostly stewed over it a little here and there. I knew I had some work to do, some extra writing for chapters that were too short and needed to add a few more chapters to make it more cohesive. But like a lot of things in writing, after you've bled so much, sometimes you need to replenish the supply. I've mostly ignored it over the past year, and am just now picking it back up. Wrote an additional chapter for the finale the other day, and plan to write the rest and tweak it all soon. While it's still relatively on the brain.

Myrna
The character of Myrna has been a delight to play around with. The whole story is pretty fantastic, gritty, and action-packed--so I'm pretty much in heaven developing it. You can check out the prologue here.

I wrote an outline for Myrna a while back, but have since been coming back to it and working on it. I could tell right away it needed some help, felt like it was missing some things. One thing that's been humorous/torturous is that I have this great back story for Myrna, and I can't figure out where to put it in the outline. Depending on how things go, I may just have to reserve it for another book. Yes, there will be at least two books for Myrna.

I've said this before in a previous post, and I'll say it again... I love contrast. As I work on Myrna, which is a science fiction piece that takes place out in the future, I find myself listening to some music that greatly contrasts what music would probably be like in this futuristic world. I find the contrast most helpful along the way. This song in particular is useful to me while thinking about all things Myrna.

Needy Girl (Lifelike Remix) by Chromeo on Grooveshark

Cafe de Mort
This little short has come a long way for me. It originated as an impromptu flash fiction, where I was dabbling into some areas I'd yet to do in my writing. I was writing about a setting I didn't know, in Europe, probably Spain or Italy in my mind, and I also wrote some dialogue in a foreign language--which was something else I'd yet to do.

Immediately after finishing it, I was satisfied but felt I wanted to go on with it. What next? What could possibly happen after such a slap-in-the-face of a beginning?

Feedback has been positive on this little short, and one person who liked it suggested I keep it as is--afraid going beyond it might ruin the impact. He may be right, but for now I'm following my guy... at Neal James' suggestion.

I decided to slice it out as a novella, pretty certain a novel would be too much for this tale. I outlined a decent novella, but upon further inspection knew something was wrong with it. It needed more meat.

After giving it some more thought, I wanted more character development. It was a story that consisted of almost all plot, which is ridiculous coming from me. After adding in some chapters, and refining/reordering some others, I now have a work that will most likely be a 40,000 word novel. Guess I must be getting long-winded these days.

I'm actually very excited about this one. It's suspenseful, driven by some pretty dark themes, and has some romance and action to boot.

What can we conclude?
I'm contemplating taking up some blogging, so my blog stays fresh. When you're writing these novels, or outlining them, it leaves little time for short story postings. So, sorry about that. I'll also keep going through my archive, as not everything I've written is here. When I find some good things from my archives, I'll be sure to post them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Merlin & Hagar : A Gnome Photo Series

I decided, on a whim yesterday, to make a photo series based off my wife's gnome collection. It was a collection she curated over her childhood, buying them all from the same place in Derby, Kansas, where her grandparents lived.

The series stars two gnomes, Merlin and Hagar. One is jolly, and the other grumpy. Enjoy.

I have the first two posted, and will embed below.



New website look and stuff coming soon

I've been meaning to give my site an extreme makeover and be better about writing posts, and sharing stories. Well, it's coming....I'm currently testing with my new theme/layout, and it is gonna be cool...let me tell ya. And as far as more content, I will be writing more and writing more blog posts as well. This is more of a challenge to myself to stay on top of things, and less of an actual promise. Yikes!Any rate, stay tuned.

A little on Audrey Hepburn, my favorite actor

It takes a lot for me to say something is 'my favorite'. For example, when it comes to movies, I have a laundry list, and the one at the top is really only there because I just can't bring myself to take it down for something else.

Some people claim actors as favorites for silly reasons. Yes, I said silly. While Audrey may not make the list for favorite actor for a lot of folks, though maybe for 'best style' or some other nonsense. For me, she makes the top for acting. And here's why...

In her career, and life, she was constantly met with challenges and always overcame them. An actor who takes on challenges and bests them, those are the truly talented actors. From her humble beginnings in life, taking part in the underground resistance during WW2, to stardom, she saw a lot of challenges along the way. Like, how do I save these Jews from the Nazi soldiers coming this way? Oh, let me walk over and pick a flower for the Nazi, giving the Jews time to get…