Skip to main content

I'm getting that old noir itch tonight

I'm getting that old noir itch tonight. Thinking back on some of my old noir characters, the stories and listening to what was to be our main theme of Kings 2. Use the player below to start listening to the theme, and read on.



This theme was composed by +Benjamin Little and I can remember the first time he played it for me. We walked onto the Missouri S&T campus and found a piano in the Havaner Center, right above the coffee shop. He played it out on the piano and I listened to it... it had a quality to it I really liked. The way it slowly built over time with each repetition. It reminded me of a song I had mixed for the first one, which was pretty bad, and I generally referred to as Batman vs. The Nazis. It had that certain... for lack of a better term... epic quality to it, but still somewhat classical.

The music for Kings was primarily a happy accident.
When I began editing the first film, Kings: Hit and Run, I needed music and I would take whatever I had my hands on. And what I had my hands on were some rough recordings of piano solos Ben and I had recorded before he left. It was him playing a baby grand piano into a cassette tape recorder. Most of the songs were rough, scratchy sounding, depressing and classical in nature. The other music I had at my fingertips was a CD recorded by my wife's uncle, which contained some blues pieces. I decided to go with the classical piano solos and blues.

When I began writing Kings 2, I decided that I wanted to up the ante a bit. I wanted to have Ben compose music specifically for the soundtrack, and I wanted to reach back into the public domain and use some old time blues pieces. I curated a list of pieces I liked from the era, and that I felt I could use. Some great stuff. And it was worth the ride, going back and researching the roots of blues.

Digging in the heels
To me, half the fun in filmmaking and acting is the research.... actually, it might even be more than half. It's the digging in and finding the stuff below the surface you want to embed in it to make it resonate. And no, I don't mean like adding an agenda. If you wanna make movies about what you believe, or your opinions, that's fine, it's called a documentary or possibly propaganda. Remember to label it right.

I'm entering tangent-ville. Good night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little on Audrey Hepburn, my favorite actor

It takes a lot for me to say something is 'my favorite'. For example, when it comes to movies, I have a laundry list, and the one at the top is really only there because I just can't bring myself to take it down for something else.

Some people claim actors as favorites for silly reasons. Yes, I said silly. While Audrey may not make the list for favorite actor for a lot of folks, though maybe for 'best style' or some other nonsense. For me, she makes the top for acting. And here's why...

In her career, and life, she was constantly met with challenges and always overcame them. An actor who takes on challenges and bests them, those are the truly talented actors. From her humble beginnings in life, taking part in the underground resistance during WW2, to stardom, she saw a lot of challenges along the way. Like, how do I save these Jews from the Nazi soldiers coming this way? Oh, let me walk over and pick a flower for the Nazi, giving the Jews time to get…

Merlin & Hagar : A Gnome Photo Series

I decided, on a whim yesterday, to make a photo series based off my wife's gnome collection. It was a collection she curated over her childhood, buying them all from the same place in Derby, Kansas, where her grandparents lived.

The series stars two gnomes, Merlin and Hagar. One is jolly, and the other grumpy. Enjoy.

I have the first two posted, and will embed below.



New website look and stuff coming soon

I've been meaning to give my site an extreme makeover and be better about writing posts, and sharing stories. Well, it's coming....I'm currently testing with my new theme/layout, and it is gonna be cool...let me tell ya. And as far as more content, I will be writing more and writing more blog posts as well. This is more of a challenge to myself to stay on top of things, and less of an actual promise. Yikes!Any rate, stay tuned.